A Brief History
Admitted to the Union on September 9, 1850, California is known as “the El Dorado State” or “the Golden State”. The name was given after finding plenty of gold years ago; however, being one of the most populated states, California remains mother lode of making a fortune. The unhappy point is that the money that you can earn are not always honest money. The thing is that California is known as one of the states with widespread network of drug producers and traffickers. The reasons for this are geographical position, rather high income of inhabitants and the usual mood of amusements.
According to statistics and surveys, drugs caused more than 16 deaths per 100,000 citizens in California last year. Such facts make the government scratch head over limiting the drug consuming. In fact, that is not an easy goal. Within years, authorities tried to implement many laws intended to hold back drugs import, reduce the ability to distribute illegal substances, and, as a pleasant bonus, decrease the level of crimes related to drugs; however, according to the latest data, about 8% of the residents are fighting addiction; however, that is the top of the iceberg. Most of people, who have problems with drugs, are afraid to ask for professional help, which might cause even more problems in the future.
Therefore, you should remember that if the friend of yours or you personally have got into trouble with drugs, you can rely on legal institutions. One of the most effective and efficient ways to prevent addiction and imprudent actions is to reach out to one of the drug rehab centers in California (https://addictionresource.com/drug-rehab/california/ learn more here). Such facilities provide professional help in your fight with addiction and assist in controlling possible withdrawal. The evident benefit is the ability to be under control within 24 hours. The disadvantage that might prevent you from reaching any treatment centers in California is the price that you need to pay for staying in the rehab. It is a subject to people on lower incomes such as students, homeless population, the unemployed, or immigrants, who cannot find a good job in the US.
WHAT DOES THE AUTHORITIES DO TO PROVIDE HELP FOR EVERY RESIDENT?
For sure, tax payers cannot cough up the funding of treatment centers in California for all of those who need treatment. That is why the government has developed special programmes that can be partially covered by the patient himself, and the other part might be sponsored by the city.
One of the greatest and the most effective examples is California’s Drug Diversion Program. The main thought of the programme is that the defendant can have the drug charges dropped on the condition of a successful accomplishment the drug deferral program. It is important to mention that this programme would be an easy way to avoid the jail if there were not additional terms and conditions. The conditions to fall into the Diversion Program are:
- To be accused of non-violent, low-level drug offenses such as drug possession or being under the influence of a controlled substance. The substances might be found at any place from your back pocket to your wardrobe in the dormitory.
- To have the first offence and to be charged with no more serious crime connected to drugs (possession, selling, and so on).
- To agree to pay some part of the sum for the rehabilitation center in California determined by the court.
- To be ready to spend about a year at the rehab (usually the programmes last about 12 months) and not to refuse to get drug tested.
WHAT IS THE RISK GROUP?
To talk turkey, the busier and more prosperous the person is, the less possible it is that he or she would take drugs. The thing is that when you have money and can prune away the routine problems and everyday stress, you would not think about the drugs. That is why one of the most problematic groups is students. The reasons for students to get involved into excessive alcohol or drug consumption fall into several categories:
- Emotional need to be accepted by social group. It is proved that super-straps are seldom popular amongst their peers. This often misleads young people and they start consuming illegal substances just to keep pace with other, more popular, students.
- The physiological need to get rid of the stress. Firstly, quitting the house is kind of stress for a young person. Secondly, the rhythm of college life might not be easy to follow. This includes both education and social life that young people aim to follow. As a result, they take marijuana or other substances just to let their hair down.
- Lack of experience and stereotypes such as the statement that taking marijuana might help to focus on the specific task and pass the exam make students prone to the marketing tricks of drug dealers.
If we look through the data, more than 4/5 of the students have seen the act of taking drugs and treated that as ok-situation. More than half of the students in California have tried some drugs. In addition, about 5 percent of the students are active participants of the system of drug dealing. These are hard-hitting numbers. Specialists from a student California alcohol rehab say that universities should take some steps in preventing the development of alcohol or drug abuse among young people. The message that take a chill pill by taking drugs is not the best idea should be clearly understood by the students.
WHAT ARE THE PLACES TO GET REAL HELP?
The problem of addiction requires not only the development of the rehabilitation programmes, but also the creation of the special places, where this help can be received. For this reasons, it is reasonable to tell about one of the most successful drug rehab centers in California.
- California Health Care Foundation (CHCF) is an independent and non-profitable organisation that is aimed at the improvement of the system of health care in California, especially in regards to people with low income. The organisation is not just rehab center, it also deals with a wide range of issues that might better health care system in general.
- California Hispanic Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse (CHCADA) is another interesting organisation, which provides services based on culturally competent, mostly bicultural and bilingual, assistance to Latinos with low income or other groups that are marginalized in the USA.
Being aware of the possible problem is the first step to solve it. If you feel you might not cope with the lure of drugs, it is better to consult specialist at any treatment centers in California now than to get into jail later.
Question for students (and subscribers): Do you have any tips for getting help? Please let us know in the comments section below this article.
Your readership is much appreciated!
For more information, please see…
Gahlinger, Paul. Illegal Drugs: A Complete Guide to their History, Chemistry, Use, and Abuse. Plume, 2003.
The featured image in this article, a photograph by Simon_sees from Australia of a nice police car in Beverly Hills, is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. This image, originally posted to Flickr, was reviewed on by the administrator or reviewer File Upload Bot (Magnus Manske), who confirmed that it was available on Flickr under the stated license on that date.