A Brief History On August 6, 1926, Gertrude Ederle became the first woman to swim across the English Channel. An American with German parents, Ederle had already won a Gold Medal and 2 Bronze Medals in the 1924 Olympics when she dared the cold, rough waters of the Channel. Many women over the years have become famous while wearing swimsuits, whether in movies, posters or in competitive swimming. Here we list 10 of the most famous women in bathing gear. Digging Deeper 10. Gertrude Ederle. Already a famous swimmer when she swam the 20+ miles across the English Channel, Ederle’s time of…
- This Day in History on September 30th
- History Short: The Most Historic World Series Ever?
- This Day in History on September 29th
- History Short: What was “The Great Wrath?”
- This Day in History on September 28th
- History Short: Are Pro Sports Rigged?
- A Table of Biographies of Roman Emperors and Usurpers
- Animated Map of the 2022 Russian Invasion of Ukraine (through September 27th, 2023)