Browsing: June 9

A Brief History On June 9, 1959, the United States Navy launched the USS George Washington, the first ballistic missile submarine capable of launching nuclear missiles. We used that occasion to publish the article “10 Weapons Milestones (Modern Systems that Changed the Game)” in which we named 10 of the most interesting and important advances in weaponry of the 19th and 20th Centuries. Today we list 10 more of those weapons and or weapons systems, and we branch out to include the 21st Century and Olden times as well. As always, please share your nominations for other weapons we could…

A Brief History On June 9, 1534, French explorer Jacques Cartier became the first European (White) man to discover the mighty St. Lawrence River, the gateway into North America for European explorers. Digging One of the mightiest rivers in the world, the St. Lawrence River can be described as consisting of all the Great Lakes as well as the Niagara River and the portion we traditionally refer to as the St. Lawrence itself.  Draining over 1 million square kilometers of the United States of America and Canada, the St. Lawrence has a discharge even greater than that of the Mississippi…

A Brief History This summer, welcome to a new world of Gods and monsters.  Universal Pictures presents Tom Cruise in THE MUMMY!  In theaters, Real D 3D and IMAX 3D on June 9th.  Rated PG-13.  Enter here for your chance to win passes to the advance screening in Cleveland: http://tinyurl.com/TheMummyCleveland #TheMummy Digging Deeper – Official Press Release THE MUMMY – In Theaters June 9 Official Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #TheMummy Tom Cruise headlines a spectacular, all-new cinematic version of the legend that has fascinated cultures all over the world since the dawn of civilization: The Mummy. …

A Brief History This article presents a timeline of the history of Mormonism. Digging Deeper On October 27, 1838, Missouri’s governor issued an order for all Mormons to leave the state or face extermination! On June 27, 1844, Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons), was shot to death by a mob with blackened faces in a Carthage, Illinois jail while awaiting trial for treason. On June 9, 1856, 500 Mormons left Iowa and headed for Salt Lake City, Utah.  So eager to leave the religious persecution behind them, they started their trek on foot…

A Brief History On June 9, 1856, 500 Mormons left Iowa and headed for Salt Lake City, Utah.  So eager to leave the religious persecution behind them, they started their trek on foot pulling 2 wheeled handcarts! Digging Deeper If you are familiar with the stories of Mormons walking to Utah and pulling handcarts, you might not know that only about 10 percent of the Latter Day Saints (what Mormons actually are called, or LDS) that traveled to Utah before 1868 made the trip on foot with handcarts.  The other 90 percent had horse, mule, or oxen drawn wagons. Although…

1 2